Still looking for a gift for mom? Look no further than your craft supply stash! Here's an easy way to make a matching card and necklace — perfect for Mother's Day or any other time you need a quick handmade gift. The card features a bottle cap button embellishment made from polymer clay, and the necklace features a matching pendant.
- Buttons. Raid that button jar to find a design you like. The large ones (just about the same size as the inside of the bottle cap) work great.
- Amazing Mold Putty or molding compound of your choice
- Bottle caps. For this project, I like the fluted ones, which are available in craft stores or online. You could also use recycled bottle caps that you've flattened.
- Patterned paper & card stock for the card
- Rubber stamps (optional)
- Polymer clay to match your paper
- Large jump ring, jewelry findings, & cord for the necklace
- Tools: hammer & nail, plus assorted paper crafting, polymer clay & jewelry making tools
- Use Amazing Mold Putty to create a mold of your button. Let this set.
- Use a hammer and nail to punch a hole near the rim of the bottle cap you're using for the necklace. Feed a large jump ring through the hole.
- Use polymer clay and your mold to create buttons in your desired color. (Note: Decide which paper you're using first, then mix your clay to match that color. It's much easier to do in this order than vice versa!)
- Press the unbaked polymer clay button into the bottle cap, smoothing the edges as needed. If the button is too small, you can use a clay extruder to add a border around the edge. Bake your bottle cap according to the polymer clay manufacturer's instructions.
- Fold a cardstock base and apply your scrapbooking paper. If you need some help coming up with a layout, check out this random layout generator (it's meant for scrapbooks, but you can make it work for cards with a little imagination!), or search for "card sketches." Decorate the card with rubber stamps and/or other embellishments, then use a strong double-sided tape to add your bottle cap embellishment.
- For the necklace, string the bottle cap onto your cord and add necklace closures.
- Try stacking different colors of buttons for a trendy look.
- Instead of (or in addition to) a necklace, make earrings or a ring.
- Different finishes can give one button lots of different looks. Try adding chalk or Pearl Ex before baking. Alcohol inks, acrylic paints, or clear glazes are good options after baking.
- Insert your own variation here. (I'd love to see what you come up with!)
I hope you have a wonderful weekend with your family this Mother's Day!